The Process and Procurement Phase
Interior design is so much more than simply buying furniture and accessories and picking the right colors. It is planning, budgeting, and communicating as well as creative problem-solving. Because we want to build a long-term relationship with you, we feel it is important for you to be aware of the process we follow with every project. The design process is very similar to an iceberg; much of the work takes place long before the first purchase or installation.
Designs specifically for you.
Information Gathering or Programming
· We learn about your needs and what makes you feel comfortable; together, we develop a vision for the space, including how it will be used.
· We estimate a budget and begin developing a time line for completion.
· We’ll draw up a Letter of Agreement which will outline the project.
· Begin refining details and completing our assessment of the space.
· Begin the process of selecting elements such as the color palette and materials, finalize space planning and any planned changes and additions.
· With input from the first consultations, we combine our knowledge, research and experience to produce an initial conceptual design plan.
· Initial presentation includes: our conceptual sketches, existing and proposed floor plans, furniture suggestions, and recommendations for textiles, wall treatments, flooring, and other materials as appropriate to your project.
· We consider your feedback and refine the plan for your final approval.
· Developing the appropriate detailed design drawings, including special features, custom furniture designs and built-ins, layouts and furniture selections.
· Final presentation of design concepts, materials and specifications.
· Final budget proposal for your approval.
Implementation and Contract Administration
· Begin the purchasing and procurement phase.
· Upon approval of the master design plan, begin construction at the site, request fabrication of custom pieces, and order or purchase remaining items we agreed to include.
· We monitor the process closely and keep you updated through regular meetings, providing project management services and supervision of delivery and installation.
· Select and implement accessories.
Evaluation and Final Walk-through
· After your move-in we walk through the spaces with you personally to ensure that all items are complete and correct as ordered.
· At this time, we discuss any concerns, questions or comments you might have and make certain that your requirements have been met.
· If any details remain outstanding we follow up on our final punch list with the vendor, contractor or sub-contractor as necessary.
Once we move in to the purchasing and procurement phase of your project, we are heavily involved in the ordering process. The process is complex and time consuming, and our responsibilities are diverse. This is when we utilize our technology and software to its full advantage. A general summary of the process helps to illustrate exactly how we accomplish translating a room from concept on paper to reality in your home.
· We explore the options for each piece of furniture required, all fabrics, trims, finishes and sizes.
· Present our recommendations.
· Upon your final approval, we begin the ordering process.
· Prepare proposals detailing the style, size, finish, fabric (if applicable), and all other pertinent information for each item.
· Request quotes from vendors for each piece, checking stock and availability to ensure delivery times will fit our required schedule.
· Input the information into our system, and print a prepared proposal showing your price, a description of the item and deposit required to place the order; proposals include photographs and fabric cuttings whenever appropriate and possible.
· Upon receipt of your signed approval and deposit, we prepare purchase orders and submit the order to our vendors.
· Communication between us and each vendor concerned regarding: approvals of detail drawings, finishes and fabric cuttings, acknowledgements of accuracy and updating estimated delivery dates.
· When the order is nearing completion, we ask the vendor for status updates and invoicing.
· We prepare a final invoice for you, again verifying our records for accuracy and updating packing and freight charges.
Receiving, Delivery, and Installation
· After the item is completed and the balance paid in full, we arrange for shipping to one of our receiving warehouses.
· Each item is inspected as it arrives for damage, and then placed into storage until delivery.
· When the home is ready, we schedule a delivery date with you and the delivery company. Someone from our company is present at time of delivery to direct placement and installation of each item in its designated place.
· We hang artwork and mirrors in their specified locations, lay area rugs with pads, and install window treatments and bedding.
· A second installation for lamps and accessories typically follows the primary delivery of furniture and other large items.